Friday, August 28, 2009

An artist creates his own moral universe.

In bullet point form:

* I watched Bullets Over Broadway last night and adored every minute of it. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I mean, come on: 1920s thespians and gangsters! It was hilarious and so smart and so quoteable, and I kept thinking, "Damn you, Woody Allen, for writing about my favorite things on a level I could never dream of getting close to." It's like I wanted to savor every line of dialogue like a dollop of chocolate pudding. The only problem I had was that it ended too quickly, with an abrupt happy-ending resolution. I'm all for happy endings but it wrapped up without much of a conflict. Other than that...brilliant. John Cusack was brilliantly neurotic; I absolutely did not recognize Jim Broadbent until I checked IMDb.com; Dianne Wiest was incredible; Chazz Palminteri, I want to have your babies; and good thing Jennifer Tilly's character was supposed to be annoying, or else I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole thing without wanting to shoot my TV. So if you like gangsters and theater, SEE THIS.

* I hadn't realized there were more pages to Penny Arcade's "Automata": 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. I love this robot noir!

* "Boardwalk Empire" behind-the-scenes photos: Steve Buscemi in 1920s garb getting out of a vintage car. And here. And one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment